Monday 5 October 2015

Army Background


For some reason this has languished in drafts - for further army background see this post too.

Decided to have a think about the background of my army, in order to get motivated to continue, inform my modelling and painting, and to help me decide which way to go with the army in future.

From what I know of the Nurgle forces in AoS so far, they have currently been depicted in Ghyran, the Realm of Life, fighting the Sylvaneth (Forest Spirits) for control of that realm.

I've decided to base my army around a particularly corrupted tree in Ghyran, which I will hopefully model at some point. I intend each unit to have a particular purpose in regards to the tree.


Currently in my mind the army is split into two, the Humans and daemons, who focus on tending to and defending the tree, and the Beastmen, who focus on expanding Nurgle's influence in the realm.



Below are some thoughts on background for the warband I have just finished painting.


The current leader of the warband is Cholothrax, a somewhat powerful Rotbringer Sorceror. His work entails jovially tending to the trees needs, ensuring it's conduits have sufficient matter at all times, in order for it to thrive. Cholothrax's grip on the warband is tenuous at best, hinging on his innate knowledge of the Rot Tree.

His personal retinue is led by his brother, who has absolutely no magical aptitude, and so compensates with a large two handed axe, threatening to start hacking at the tree when the two have an argument.

Other notable members of the warband are The Brothers, a group of three gors who are scouting out the warband in order to ascertain if the Rot Tree is a worthy cause for the rest of their herd to follow, and an Ogre who tags along for the laugh.

Just from these few thoughts on the characters of the warband has cemented at least my next few months of buying for the army, as the two brothers begin to one-up each other in their dedication to Nurgle (with varying stages of daemonhood), as well as Beastmen reinforcements arriving at some point (or not), and possibly even the arrival of a more powerful entity to take control of the warband.

I'm loving how open Age of Sigmar is for writing your own background, and am glad I did this exercise, even though I found it hard at first, as it has really helped define the army for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment